Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Thoreau's Journal


Dec. 29- "We must go out and re-ally ourselves to Nature everyday. We must make root, send out some little fibre at least, even every winter day. I am sensible that I am imbibing health when I open my mouth to the wind. Staying in the house breeds a sort of insansity always. Every house is in this sense a hospital. A night and a forenoon is as much confinement to those wards as I can stand. I am aware that I recover some sanity which I had lost almost that instant that I come abroad." (pg. 428-29).


In this passage, Thoreau is expressing the importance of interacting with nature everyday. The weather shouldn't be a factor in deciding whether you will go out or stay indoors. I am always hearing people say that they are "home-bodies". They hate going outside and will not leave their home unless it is necessary. We have to go out and enjoy the beauty of nature and what it has to offer to us. You can enjoy nature in any type of weather. Thoreau mentions that even on the winter days you should go out and interact with nature. We are always making excuses on why not to go out such oh its to hot, its to cold, or im tired, etc. Not only are these excuses affecting us but also our children. When a parent doesn't feel like going out, they sit their child in front of a television and have them watch tv for hours or send them to the playroom. I would rather have my child hear the chirpping of the birds then the laugh of an animated character on television.

No comments:

Post a Comment