Tuesday, May 11, 2010

My First Summer in Sierra



" In the great Central Valley of California there are only two seasons,-spring and summer. The spring begins with the first rainstorm, which usually falls in November. In a few months the wonderful flowery vegetation is in full bloom, and by the end of May it is dead and dry and crisp, as if every plant had been roasted in an oven." (pg. 5).

I know that this is the first paragraph in the first chapter of the book but I chose this passage because it reminds me so much of the Rio Grande Valley. It seems like its always hot, or the sun is always out. We are never able to enjoy snow like other states. I'll take that back, we did back in 2004. Wouldn't it be beautiful to actually see the change that every season brings instead of always seeing the same thing and on occasion exprience some cold weather. I would love to see and experience the changes of every season instead of just seeing them in pictures or on the television. All we seem to see here are dried up plants and grass that are in desperate need of water.

No comments:

Post a Comment